[Theforum] list admin -- vote?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 13:23:01 CDT 2002

> From: Madhu Menon <webguru at vsnl.net>
>
> >please keep in mind, being a list admin means, at the very least,
> >getting a few hundred messages a day of bounce notifications... when
> >i started, it was over 1500, but i've got it down to about 800 now...
>
> Holy shitake mushroom!
> Does that mean that *each* of the list admins gets 800 notifications?
> My ISP mail account allowance is only 5 MB and with a couple of
> hundred mails each day, 800 extra would go over quota. Also, I'm on a
> dialup, which means I check mail only 3-4 times a day (we pay by the
> minute here). Would it be possible to switch off notifications and see
> them only by logging into the admin interface? I'm happy to help out
> with list admin, but will probably not be able to deal with the email
> notifications.

it is possible to give you a password so you can get in and check
stuff, without you receiving notifications...

dean and matt are in that role currently... at least, i know they can
do it, and every now and then held posts get approved/discarded
while i am off staring at encephalapods on my scooter...

> Why do so many addresses bounce anyway?

near as i can tell, the user(s) in question subbed with an addy that
forwards to another addy... the other addy is full, and bounces
back here... since there's no corresponding addy that's subbed, i
can't nomail/unsub, and the damn mail headers ain't helping...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself