Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Tue May 21 15:14:30 CDT 2002

> Exactly - how much more likely is meo going to be able to pay
> for itself than beo is? I can't see anyway we could use beo
> to raise funds.

About people giving to keep their meo accounts. I think that people
would rather get their own domain when they already have enough money to
give. Sure, meo is a good testbed for people who are just getting into
php/whatever, but they can just as well get some free hosting or set up
a simple web server on their own computer (only takes 10 minutes) to
test their code and ideas. It takes a lot of time and money to save meo
and keep it going. There are dozens of alternatives (true, maybe not as
good ones) to meo.

Beo, however, is a resource not easily matched (there's nothing else
like it on the web). Members (and non-members alike) rely on it a great
deal. We shouldn't forget the existing members who need support in form
of browsers and testing (evolt is a resource for developers and
designers - we all need this resource of browsers to test our
applications).

I think we should go with the 'distributed processing' idea to save beo
-- it wouldn't cost us almost anything. Yes, somebody would have to
write the application to keep track of the browsers and redirect
requests. That wouldn't probably be too much work, though. Once the code
is ready, we can assign administrators (I would gladly be one) who would
keep track of the browsers, update archives etc.

My point is that we can create a low-cost solution to save beo (which
would be great for everybody, us and all of the members and
non-members). For meo, however, we would need our own server and hosting
(whereas the code that redirects beo requests could easily reside on our
future weo server).

Also, since beo is such an unique resource, then we can get outside
sponsorship for it from various development agencies if we need to. For
meo, people will run away once they buy their own domain (let's face it
-- how many people prefer to be hosted in a subdirectory). Don't get me
wrong -- I think  that meo is a good resource and well worth saving, but
we need much more funds to do so and it is not an unique resource,
unlike some other evolt projects.

Thanks,
Lauri
--