[Theforum] BEO again

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed May 22 04:07:59 CDT 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Sounds good, although we'd probably want the *link* to be on beo (so you
can still go to beo to find everything), but the download file on the
publisher's original site.

This is probably less important for smaller, harder to find browsers - it's
pretty easy to know when IE or NS are updated, but who's going to trawl the
IBM site to check if HomePageReader disappears from general download?
(unless... you automate it with a daily/weekly job, so when the offsite
link returns a 404, make the onsite download available).

I also think that that old Mozilla builds are probably less important too -
if you're downloading milestone builds then you're likely to be getting the
latest one anyway. The general web-using public probably won't be using old
builds, so the testing argument is less significant.

> I\'d guess that at least some (if not, a good amount) of our BEO
> bandwidth is used by people downloading new browsers: the latest
> Mozilla, IE6, etc.
>
> Could we consider removing browsers (and linking to their official
> source) until they are not available as such? So, we\'d refer people
> looking for IE6 to MS, and the latest Mozilla to Mozilla\'s mirrors,
> while still serving those looking for older stuff like Netscape 3 and
> whatever else.

So we'd grab a copy as soon as it was out and not make it available until
it
couldn't be had from the official source?

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.