[Theforum] funding options

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Thu May 23 16:36:53 CDT 2002

Martin wrote:

> Charging $2.50 will still probably come down to $1 net after Paypal
> charges etc.

do the PayPal charges really cost that much?

> I also think we won't get 850 paying members. Some will say "fuck dat
> shit" (including probably *all* the freeloaders), and some just won't
> get round to paying.

probably not all the current members, but there is a double win
situation here.  the freeloaders will go away, providing some cleanup.
what is left will provide consistent funding that can, and probably
will, grow.

I understand that there is a list for meo users.  I suggest that we use
it to get feedback from those users.  An email, something like "we are
considering charging a $3.50 (maximum, maybe less) a month fee for space
here to support hosting costs.  we would like to know your opinions
before making any decisions.  thank you", would give us a picture of how
many will stay and how much revenue it will generate.

Ron D.