[Theforum] BEO again

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Fri May 24 13:24:21 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:

> > > i know you said throttling doesn't do much, but if we limit
> > > simultaneous connections to those directories (can you limit to that
> > > level of granularity?), we could cut down the number of d/ls per
> > > day, and ideally, the bandwidth associated with it would be cut...
> >
> > It probably would reduce the d/l's for that day, but the requester
> > will probably come back the next day and you use the bandwidth.  You
> > may spread it out a few days but eventually it gets used if we're the
> > only place to get the browser.
>
> agreed, but i've used this type 'throttling' to restrict overall
> bandwidth for an indeterminate number of time...
>
> now, i'm not an ISP, and i wouldn't claim to know too much about
> the process, but it did have an effect... namely because as the guy
> came back the next day, he was blocking someone else from
> getting in.. etc...

I'm not against throttling, it is a good idea for high demand downloads, in
our case a the beo service.  We would probably see some reduction in monthly
usage, but not enough to get us into a lower price zone.  Looking around at
other providers reveals that the level of usage we are in comes in 20-30GB
chunks.  I don't think we can trim that much with throttling.

Ron D.