[Theforum] meo barriers

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Sat May 25 17:43:27 CDT 2002

Matt,

>There is a difference between:
>
>"everyone has to contribute non-monitarily, except mwarden who
>doesn't -- he has to pay $$$ to keep his members account."
>
>and
>
>"everyone has to pay, except isaac, who contributes very much
>non-monetarily."

Yes. The first is preferred (by me).

>You seem to be placing the *exceptions* into the monetary category, while
>(if im not mistaken) everyone else has been placing the exceptions into
>the non-monetary category.

To be fair to you and myself both, I did say this:

    I'm just throwing ideas out here, but perhaps
    the thing to do is not to set a gift amount, but
    to *suggest* a gift amount (starting at something
    really low). Perhaps we can require that people
    give *something* in order to partake in the meo
    service, whatever they can afford according to
    their economic situation? I dunno...

So, yeah, I was initially suggesting we *consider* requiring m.e.o.
account holders to give monetarily, but as we discussed this I came
to see that that wasn't really fair.

>Ok, great. Someone should change the wording on the page then, because it
>*is* required.

How does one change that page?

>Now, since you've clarified yourself, I agree that we're on the same
>page. But, honestly, this is the first I've heard of the approach you're
>taking. Mainly because it's not a change from how things are done now -
>except maybe increased policing.

Yeah, another headache.

>I'm just saying that there is a fine line between evolt.org surviving with
>corporate sponsorhip and evolt.org *dying* and being replaced by something
>else with the same name because of corporate sponsorship.

Danger, Will Robinson!

>  >So you don't think people should be required to give back in order to
>>get a members account?
>
>Why do you have to ask questions like this when I have already made my
>stance clear? This is the kind of "old admin" stuff I'm talking about.

I honestly didn't mean it as as a rhetorical question, I was trying
to make sure I understood where you were coming from. Dang email,
face to face communication is so much better!

And in a case of the pot calling the kettle black, you can't say you
didn't take on the "old admin" approach of baiting me with comments
like, "If you want to talk about this, lets' talk about it. Quit
spending the time wording and misrepresenting things" (when I wasn't)
and "When did I say to not charge for meo?" (when I'd never accused
you of that).

I'm not trying to bait you back. Peace and luurve!

>  >Oh, well I don't know about other people, but I'm suggesting the
>>money will be used to keep all of evolt.org alive, including m.e.o.
>>and b.e.o..
>
>And I think that's wrong. But, if that's what we have to do, that's what
>we have to do.

I don't like it either.

>  >So when I say "barrier" I mean that we'll make the community a better
>  >place by requiring our members using m.e.o. to give back either
>>through participation or through monetary giving
>
>And I'm saying we already do that! -- regardless of whether or not it uses
>the word "required" on the signup page.

Has anyone gotten an m.e.o. account without participating on thelist
or writing an article?

Given that the answer is probably yes, we should consider requiring
participation or payment in exchange for their privileges.

Bother!

>I have a habit of replying as I read, so... sorry about that. If you still
>want to talk over the phone, I'll be around for another 30 minutes or so:
>
>http://www.mattwarden.com/contact.shtml
>
>Although, I do think we understand each other now, right? I just didn't
>think that's what you meant since I don't think that's what everyone else
>means...

It's all good...

Cheers,
Marlene