[Theforum] community vs. corporations (was: funding options)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat May 25 20:24:06 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Marlene Bruce" <marlene at members.evolt.org>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Theforum] community vs. corporations (was: funding
options)

> [snip]
>
> Additionally, PayPal only lets you specify money in US dollars. I
> wonder how they convert currency if the sender is using a non-US
> credit card or bank account?
>
> Oh, I bet this takes care of it:
> http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fees-withdrawal-outside
> and
> http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fees-add-outside
>
> Those URLs indicate that for non-US banks (only some countries are
> listed) there are fees for withdrawing money and adding money to an
> account. Those fees can get stiff (like $7.00 for Japan).

Depends on the credit card company, and on the country where the person
paying/receiving is.  When I'm spending money on PayPal (i.e. sending
someone money), my cc companies treat the transaction as a foreign currency
credit transaction, and just charge me their usual 2ish% commission/handling
fee.  When I'm withdrawing to my UK (sterling) current account, I get
charged $1.50, then the remainer of the amount is converted to UK pounds
sterling according to whatever rate PayPal feel like converting at that day
(usually about $1.50-1.60 = UKP 1).

> Ugh.

Indeed.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'