[Theforum] meo barriers (was community vs. corporation)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun May 26 10:36:49 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Martin Burns" <martin at easyweb.co.uk>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2002 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Theforum] meo barriers (was community vs. corporation)

> [snip]
>
> iow the membership (which is still a bit of a loose class defn btw)
> doesn't count for much on it's own, except that it's an absolute
> requirement. But you need to be an active member, so you can't *just*
> register to get free space.

I think this is as good as it's going to get without turning meo into a
full-fledged, anyone-can-join web hosting/development platform - meo usage
should really be a perk of being an active evolt.org member and contributor,
more of a value add, rather than a discrete service.  This would surely be a
definite barrier to casual and/or determined misuse by those wanting to
abuse it as free web space or whatever.

of course the activity requirement should help stopping evolt being flooded
with memberships just to get a meo account.

the qualification of "must have been eo member for X days" (30 seems best,
but others may prefer a longer/shorter period of time) _plus_ one or more of
the others  will help loads too.

in summary, +1 :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'