[Theforum] evolt.org stuff

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 3 15:04:21 CDT 2002

Hey Dan,

Upon thinking about this more, are you sure all that was required in
filing for NFP was your "name, address, social, etc"? I hate being in
the position of being a stickler about it, but this just doesn't seem
right.

According to
http://www.automated-incorporating.com/WisconsinContents.htm, for the
articles of incorporation alone, Wisconsin would have required much
more than the info you indicate. That's the information I'm hoping
you'll share with us.

Also, according to
http://www.bizfilings.com/learning/nonprofitfaq.htm, there had to be
more than just articles of incorporation filed to ever get to the
step of being denied for NFP status by the IRS (which you indicated
was the case).

    "The first step is to file nonprofit articles of incorporation
     with the proper state agency. It is important that the articles
     contain the required clauses to make sure your articles will
     qualify for tax-exempt status.

    "After the nonprofit articles are filed, tax-exempt status must
     be applied for at both the federal and state levels. To apply
     at the federal level, a timely filing of form 1023 must be made."

Did you ever get past the first step and file IRS form 1023, or did
you stop at the "Articles of Incorporation" stage?

If you went through the whole process, will you tell us upon what
basis the application for evolt.org's NFP status was denied by the
IRS?

And will you share the related documents with us, or tell us who we
can talk to to get copies? It actually would be a big jump start.

Finally, under what name did you file for the NFP ("Evolt" or "evolt.org")?

Thanks for your help,
Marlene