[Theforum] Lists Closed to Subscription

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 5 14:17:26 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:23:53AM -0700, Marlene Bruce wrote:
> Dean said:
>
> >  > Subscription to the admin list was closed and by invitation only.
>
> IMO, that was from old legacy stuff that we've been trying to do away with.

That's fine with me.  I understand the other points you raised.  I
suggest that we amend the Wiki page to reflect that though.  The
description, purpose, and focus of the groups are incorrect.

> I though the idea was to keep the running of evolt.org open to
> anyone who wants to participate.

Not according to the original group definition for which those lists
were created.  I believe that the groups were designed to focus people
on their chosen area so that stuff would get done.  It seems to me
that the bigger the group, the greater the apathy or the greater lack
of consensus.

> At the very least, could we leave TheForum open?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was only talking about
closing subscriptions to the five lists that align with the groups.

> (I just am not sure how a new person would ever be able to prove
> they were worthy to be included in any of the committees...)

I would suggest anyone that steps up and becomes actively involved in
theforum would automatically be qualified to enter one of the groups.
In the old admin days, there was always talk about rotating "dormant"
members out so that active members could jump in.  One way to locate
active members is those who participate actively in the other lists.

> >  > From what I understood
> >>  of the groups is that they would only accept a limited number of
> >>  members.  If the lists are open to anyone, I don't see how this is
> >  > enforced.
>
> You're right, keeping groups to a minimum of members has been
> suggested in the wiki. But I know at least one or two of the lists
> already have lots more members than the wiki proposed. Content, for
> example, as of this moment has 23 members.

Yes, and I know some people are on more lists than the Wiki would
allow.  I think that the maximum was 3.  Everyone agreed in principle
at the time but it hasn't been enforced.

> Can we discuss this more before making a final decision?

Like I mentioned before, I don't care either way and I can see good
and bad points for either solution.  However, once the decision is
made, it should be documented and adhered to (at least for a little
while until the next challenge to the policy appears).

Dean