[Theforum] Re: thanks

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 13 23:20:22 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:07:56PM +1000, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> Dean Mah said:
>
> > 4) People (I hate to open this up to groups of people...)
>
> Not to be blunt or anything but.. why?

Security.  These are real accounts on the server.  It's bad enough
that the passwords are passed in the clear.  The whole point of
ssh'ing into the server is to encrypt the session including login
authentication.  Web mail bypasses that totally.  (Of course, we will
do the utmost to limit compromise by gaining the password if this is
the course we take.)

> > would use
> >   http://members.evolt.org/email/ and login to the \'treasurer\'
> >   account to read and send mail.
>
> or for the monkeygroups we'd log in to send and have email sent to
> that address sent to the relevant list instead, right?

Yes, that is also an option.

Dean