[Theforum] another online community in trouble

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 18 23:04:21 CDT 2002

> I'm one of those "poor freelancers" and I'd much rather donate
> $100 to evolt than have my eyeballs sold by evolt.

I'm talking about sponsors like those who support http://www.k10k.net/ (see
the top right of the page for their acknowledgements), rather than banner
ads sold en masse to anyone.

A lot of our members are international and do not have easy access to
payment tools like PayPal. Also, I would hope that evolt.org could survive
without having to routinely "beg" our members for money. We already ask our
members to contribute content (articles, list posts, etc).

The cost to our community of corporate sponsorship, as per our EthicsCode,
would be the sponsor branding somewhere on our services. It could
potentially be as inobtrusive as the k10k example.

What do you think?

(BTW, it's heartwarming to know that evolt.org is a valuable community that
even one person would be willing to support financially!)

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au