[Theforum] another online community in trouble

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Wed Jun 19 06:08:08 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Marlene Bruce" <marlene at members.evolt.org>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 3:13 AM
Subject: RE: [Theforum] another online community in trouble

> [snip]
>
> As far as corporate ads go, if we decide to include them we
> should keep them as non-intrusive as we can get away with (e.g. at
> the bottom of the page).

Then they'll be useless, as no-one will see them.  If we decide to chuck in
468x60 corporate advertising (or even just simple corporate textads), they
MUST be above the fold for them to be at all attractive.  If you start
selling real estate to companies, and then tell them "oh, your ad will be at
the very bottom of the page, which many people will not scroll to", they'll
tell you where to shove your real estate :)

Yes, space is precious, but if we do introduce advertising of any kind, you
can't piss about with it - you have to treat the paying customers with a
modicum of respect.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'