Distributed bandwidth (was RE: [Theforum] Re: [Content] Mail Alert! - Sat Jun 22 31226)

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 24 10:38:22 CDT 2002

Don't take this personally, please, but...

Bluntly, I'm not seeing the point of this discussion.

IMHO having loads of individual 'volters hosting
tiny little chunks of the archive as well as
large full-service mirrors in operation seems to serve
no purpose other than making a couple of evolters
happy to be able to say they're doing it.

If (eg) sunsite.org.uk is carrying a mirror of the entire
archive, why on earth would we also offer 'Steve's home
PC with upstream capacity of 128kbps' ?

The ftp.mozilla.org thing I can understand, but this
seems to make no sense to me.

<grouch>
And yet it's consuming almost all of the space within
our discussion of mirroring, while touting for *real*
mirrors is getting none at all. Grr.
</grouch>

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com