[Theforum] Downtime this weekend for server move

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 18:30:06 CDT 2002

Hi All

This weekend, we're moving evolt.org's servers from Starkmedia in
Milwaulkee where they've been hosted and maintained by Dan Cody since
early 2001, to their new home at http://www.csi1st.net/ in
Altavista, Virginia, courtesy of Ron Dorman.

We'll be flipping the switch at about 1700 hours GMT on Friday 2nd August,
way south to Altavista. We expect to have everything back up, tested and
with DNS running normally shortly before midnight GMT on Wednesday 7th.

Evolt's sincere thanks go to Dan for the dedicated time, effort and cost
involved in keeping our services up and running, and we wish him well.

Thanks also go to StarkMedia, Dan's employers, for their kindness and
understanding in allowing Dan the time and space to do so.

Hosting evolt is no mean feat for anyone. As well as physically
keeping the boxes up and running, evolt goes through about 140GB a
month bandwidth. We're currently looking for donations to cover the
additional costs which Ron's company will incur in hosting evolt and also
to make sure Matt isn't personally out of pocket for a 1500+ mile round trip.

There's info on how you can help (and why) at
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

To keep those  additional costs down, we're also very much looking for
people who can host a mirror of some or all of evolt's browser archive,
currently running through about 100GB a month.

We've set it up so that you  can offer a monthly allocation of as much or
as little as you have going spare. Once it's used, your mirror
will drop out of the rotation, so you don't get any nasty surprises in
your hosting bill.

If you're able to help, either email me, or drop a note to
sysadmin at lists.evolt.org.

If you've got any questions, then again, mail me or
sysadmin at lists.evolt.org

Also starring in fine email     | "Names, once they are in common use, quickly
productions such as             | become mere sounds, their etymology being
martin at easyweb.co.uk            | buried, like so many of the earth's marvels,
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com | beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie