[Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 09:21:24 CDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Dean Mah wrote:

> It's funny.  Dan was measuring the traffic over a 24 hour period and
> the SMTP traffic was higher than the browser archive downloads.  At
> the time I suggested that we may have to cut back on some of the
> lists, thechat being the second largest or largest generator of SMTP
> traffic.

Although almost certainly by a *long* way - it only has a few hundred
members, compared to several thousand on thelist. I doubt it would make
much of a difference.

When we (uk folks) set up evolt.org.uk and offered bandwidth to evolt,
ISTR including SMTP as one option as well as beo mirrorage. We have *lots*
of bandwith on that box, although it's not a very high-powered machine, it
can cope with plenty of dumb lifting.

btw, e.o.uk took 38GB of evolt traffic last month...

(back from a weekend away seeing his new nephew in Ireland)