[Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]

Dean Mah dmah at members.evolt.org
Mon Sep 9 10:22:23 CDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 04:07:16PM +0100, John Handelaar wrote:

> % I can point MG to it as a host and we can
> % see how it works.
>
> Would that actually save any bandwidth at Ron's end?  I'm thinking
> not, but that might be a different interpretation between us as to
> what constitutes a relay in the context of Mailman...

I'm not entirely sure.  It looks like for every message that comes in,
MG specifies multiple-recipients for each message and sends it to a
relay host.  So the load to leo is a list of recipients and the
message once.  It's then up to the relay to separate out the
recipients and e-mail the message once for each person.  The load is
on the relay.

> ...actually, I was thinking that .forwarding entire lists like
> thechat away to eouk or similar would be more effective in cutting
> the throughput.

That's the same thing except that MG *should* (don't know) be able to
split up the traffic between multiple relays.

If we forward the list, will you be using mailman to distribute on
your side?  Where will the archives and the list administration sit?

> My own box is slightly less well-specced than eouk
> and doesn't really have any trouble running MM2.13,
> Qmail, Apache and MySQL with the web server chugging
> its way through about 3Gb/day all on its own.  LEO
> is much more loaded in process terms, innit?

For leo, add ColdFusion, ASP, proftp, and SquirrelMail w/ IMAP.  In
the future, add Tomcat.

Dean