[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Fri Jan 31 10:45:46 CST 2003

| > * dramatically lowering our costs, need to fundraise and resulting
| > risk, increasing the certainty of evolt.org's continuation,
|
| +1000

+1000^2

| > As you can imagine, these are major undertakings. Come this December
| > evolt.org will be celebrating our 5th birthday,
|
| Holy Moley!!

holy moley indeed. while it's mosty been great 5 years i suppose it's time
for the baby to grow up.

| > HOSTING:
|
| [snip]
|
| > * To reduce the number of boxes required to 2 (likely one for leo,
| > and one for all the web content & apps)
|
| Agreed. I'm not on the Finance group (can't even balance my own cheque
| book, so this is a *good* thing) but even I can see that we're burning
| up money that we don't have. That's not fair on our members, who we
| have to keep tapping for money, or Ron, who's effectively carrying us at
| the moment.

+10
(to the reducing part and fairness part, neither the finance group part nor
the balancing cheque book part ;)

| > TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE:
| > * To move the backend db to another technology (either an OSS
| > solution such as Postgres or MSSQL). MSSQL will likely require a
| > Windows-based provider who will also supply necessary license for
| > operating system and DB. To maintain the current CMS will also
| > require finding a CF license supplier.
|

| If we want to reduce costs, is looking at a platform where licensing
| fees are involved (ie: Windows2000/MSSQL) a good idea? Would we be
| looking at the provider to give those licences gratis? What would happen
| in the event of us growing and needing another machine? Could we
| guarantee that we would be given another license? What are the current
| Microsoft licensing costs?

ok, but isn't this the technical discussion that will take place on
desdev/sysadmin after we decide to do this? shouldn't we just be agreeing
to change it because it's impractical and expensive, to something that
isn't?

but then again, i'm no backend expert and i'll trust you guys to make the
right decision

| > MEMBERS.EVOLT.ORG (MEO):
| > We don't think that the current meo service is sustainable or develops
| > the evolt.org community much,
|
| It's like it's own little island. My vote would be to drop it and make
| the evolt.org member features more involved, so they come more under the
| weo umbrella. Pretty much as you laid it out.

allthough, i must admit $10 pr month is pretty steep, i couldn't afford
that on my current salary.

| > FRONTEND & CONTENT:
|
| XHTML1.0 and CSS2 please.
|
| (Yeah yeah, I know... that'll be discussed in the requirements phase,
| just wanted to get my vote in now)

see my comment above, but still
+1
;)

| Well, thats kicked us off.... c'mon people.. this is *our* baby, get
| talking.

i don't think i have much to say, except +1 to all of this.
doing whatever we can to reduce the cost is absolutely our most important
discussion and then working plan.

all i'm thinking is that we need someone to catch the ball and run with it.
is there anyone willing to take on the project management role and carry it
through december 14th this year?

thanks
elfur