[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 19:09:19 CST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 davidu at everydns.net wrote:

> <quote who="Martin Burns">
>
> > Remember - we still owe Ron $700. We have no money rn. If this doesn't
> > happen, we will *still* have no money, but owe Ron another $500 every
> > month.
>
> Those are figures are crazy.  Our non-profit colo can sustain a 1U machine
> with reasonable bandwidth for about $50/month (although that is only a
> suggested donation).  Evolt might run about $100 month, but that's still
> hardly $500/month.

What do you mean by 'reasonable'?

Current server traffic:
http://lists.evolt.org/financearchive/2003-January/000145.html
bearing in mind that deouk takes about 100GB/month on top of that, and I
don't know about the other beo mirror.

> I've offered to transition into our colo or at least offload some services
> (MEO being one of them). (And Evolt coult join the ranks of other groups
> we host like the Special Olympics, musicbrainz, the Kaffe JVM, and many
> other great non-profit sites and services.)

With what kind of SLA? (oops, getting into sysadmin's territory, who will
no doubt be asking about levels of redundancy etc)