[theforum] movement for redesign

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 06:48:55 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 12:31  pm, Isaac Forman wrote:

>> Like it.  Although I'm quite sure google correctly reacts to 30x and
>> while
>> retaining the 'old' address in the index, it correctly spiders
>> the content,
>> and when you click thru from your results, you go to the new url -
>> google
>> has done this with links to my old URL (which has a sitewide
>> Redirect on it)
>> for a while now.
>

> I'd prefer that we kept our article URLs the same. They're briefer as
> evolt.org/article/12/123/ than as work.evolt.org/you/get/my/point/.

Ideally, aye (or at the very least a redirect/alias from the old ones)

But I'd also like to see a much clearer association between members and
their content. And by content, I mean *everything* they do - evolters
content, artlcles, tips, directory entries, everything.

I want to see it all in the same place - a 'My folder'. If you like,
weo, peo and teo are just different views on that content, and
specifies what you see/can add in each place as well as the template
you see it in.

So you go to
http://work.evolt.org/members/martinb
http://play.evolt.org/members/martinb aka
http://evolters.org/members/martinb
http://test.evolt.org/members/martinb
and you get the appropriate content types (articles, blog entries,
review requests respectively).

But you go to
http://evolt.org/members/martinb
and you see it all.

So an evolters.org membership just means that you can add content types
exclusive to membership.

> It can be justified that work.evolt.org is the first/default state of
> evolt.org. Yes, the frontdoor might change, but articles/tips/lists
> are/will
> be our most important content.

Could maybe have the frontdoor as a user preference?
a) weo
b) peo
c) teo
d) portal

After all, we're only talking about one page?

Now playing on iTunes: "Under Ben Bulben" by Richard Harris from 'Now
And In Time To Be' - a hit from way back in 1997