[theforum] Member-centred design

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 13 08:28:52 CDT 2003

Starting a new subject cos this is getting confusing

Seb wrote:
> Members can publish content through their own areas
> (so that they actually have a scratch-pad to work on articles, so that
they
> can see all comments they're made, etc) which is then in turn submitted
for
> review to Content. Articles can be promoted to the front page, to just a
> subsection, or can be sent back to the user who can then continue
editing.

Which is vastly more sophisticated than the current workflow, and also
solves the 'Articles in Progress' problem. The best thing being the
addition of 'return with comments' as a way of getting further work on an
article, rather than a 'deny' or a 'leave in queue until bored' as at
present.

I like it *a lot*.

Additional niceness - if the WiP article doesn't appear on an 'official'
evolt page, there's no reason why it can't be visible within the member's
own area (and a member-centric URL will make it obvious anyway). So the
state before 'approved' needn't necessarily be 'only author and
content-team visible' - could be 'any registered member visible' or
'visible to all'.

> Resources (such as images) can be stored within a Member's area.

We've thought about this before, and labelled it A Good Thing (istr a demo
working on teo at some stage?). It solves the delay and hassle of someone
with FTP access having to upload the images.

Just need to be a wee bit careful to avoid abuse - getting round the
evolters restriction by publishing images and displaying them on external
pages.