[theforum] Member-centred design

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Wed Aug 13 18:32:45 CDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:25:55 -0000, Elfur Logadottir <elfur at elfur.is>
wrote:

> From: "Martin Paul Burns"
>
> | Seb wrote:
> | > Members can publish content through their own areas
> | > (so that they actually have a scratch-pad to work on articles, so
> that
> | they
> | > can see all comments they're made, etc) which is then in turn
> submitted
> | for
> | > review to Content. Articles can be promoted to the front page, to
> just
> | > subsection, or can be sent back to the user who can then continue
> | editing.
> |
> | Which is vastly more sophisticated than the current workflow, and also
> | solves the 'Articles in Progress' problem. The best thing being the
> | addition of 'return with comments' as a way of getting further work on
> an
> | article, rather than a 'deny' or a 'leave in queue until bored' as at
> | present.
>
> but this all would mean that you'd have to pay to have your article
> published on evolt.org, doesn't it? this does mean that only those with
> evolters. account have the mechanism to publish articles.
> hopefully i'm missing some major point here.

(Sorry for the long quotage, but it's important to the flow of
conversation.)

Elfur,

No, the situation that I envisage is one where _every single registered *eo
member_ has what they currently have... a bio + pic and a few more details
and, in addition, a private scratch space specifically for the task of
working on articles, comments, tips, etc... only for use on *eo. This will
be a private area that cannot be seen by anybody without publishing rights,
such that a member could work on an article (for example), request a
review, and that specific item would then be visible by reviewers. If
accepted, it would be promoted to the relevant area on *eo. If rejected,
the article, with comments, would then be available in the user's private
workspace. This would provide a complete audit trail for each published
article by the user. Any amendments to live articles by the user would then
need further review.

I also propose that the user has a template available in their home space
which allows them to customise their particular view of *eo... such that
the user, upon login, is pushed to their homepage, which is fully
customisable. This offers a very high degree of functionality as a bonus
for registering with the site, without adding a large performance hit on
the regular homepage.

I have implemented several sites (and been heavily involved in one on a
larger scale than evolt) that offer all of this functionality, and you can
see the majority of it running on http://wiki.evolt.org

- seb

--
http://poked.org