[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 13:41:09 CDT 2003

While I love the idea of the donation wall and appreciate the effort
Martin has put into this *much needed* initiative, I have to say I agree
with Madhu on this particular aspect. I consider personal donations to
evolt.org to be just that -- personal. Even if I can *individually*
choose to not display the $ of my donation, I think evolt.org displaying
actual amounts from donors is in very poor taste.

I don't actually see the *point* of showing the amount. The amount of
individual donations is, in fact, not the point; rather it's the total
cumulative value of everyone's individual contributions. That should be
reflected in a total-to-date display of some kind.

For corporate or technical donors, ie hosting services, I don't have
this problem, and in fact, if we're going to be charting
donations-in-kind, I think we do need to provide a more public
accounting for that.

--Bri