[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 16:39:22 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 06:41  pm, Madhu Menon wrote:

> "gee, those well-off americans can give $100, but for me $100 is 10
> days' wages"
> (what's that I hear? sounds like "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!"
> maybe i'm imagining things)
>
> i don't want to be guilt-tripped into contributing
>
> i don't want to feel poor
>
> i don't want to feel like a leech who takes without paying
>
> you think this will persuade me to give money? no, i'll just feel
> bitter and perhaps even angry that you're doing this to me

Madhu, you know better than to argue on the basis of "I am the world".

This is a really, really common argument of charity trustees the world
over, no matter *what* the affordability of the amounts, and it's
entirely bogus. You're suggesting that it will reduce donations, not
increase them. Sorry to say, but experience says the opposite.

Gaining donations from new donors is only a secondary fundraising goal.
The primary one is to reward those who *currently* give and to increase
the probability of *them* giving again.

And I would *very* much doubt that we'll get many USD$100 donations in
cash (and certainly not regular ones).

Cheers
martin
--
Now playing on iTunes: "Ballad Of Katie" by Hothouse Flowers from
'People' - a hit from way back in 1988