[theforum] list optimisation

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 10:43:45 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:55:06PM +1100, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> I'm not sure that I see the need. If there is a quick and definitive
> vote, then just call a vote, give a time limit of a day, count them up
> and move on it. If people can't make it in time for the vote, too bad.
> That's the exact same way it would be with reps anyway.

I see where you're coming from, but I worry about situations where a quick
and definative vote may not be the best way to handle  a situation.

Sure it's good for the "what do you think about these new cafepress
offerings" or "we have three new colour schemes on the table, what do we
think" issues, but I don't think it would be workable for issues where there
are long term implications for evolts future. Hosting moves, technical
direction etc.

Let everyone argue the various points, but at some point in that discussion
I would like to see a group of representatives step forward and say "okay,
time to vote on this and make a final decision".

> The other problem with reps as a head responsible person for a group is
> that often, people ask the rep to pass something on / do something, when
> that person could have done it in the same amount of time just by going
> ahead and doing it -- and the rep might even be too busy to get around
> to it for weeks, if it's a particularly bad time.

I wouldn't see that problem occuring (as it does now). Mainly because there
wouldn't be a need for the cross group communication we've seen in the past.
All the major parties/players would be in the same group.

With most of the major implementation groups folded in together then
(hopefully) people would pick up and run with things. I wouldn't see reps
getting involved at that sort of level.

Think of the reps more as administrative 'grease'.

G.