[theforum] We've got a serious problem here at evolt.org

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Thu May 13 14:27:01 CDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:00:47PM +0200, s t e f wrote:

> Here is the problem: I don't know who runs evolt.org, like :
> - who's got admin privileges on what machine
> - who's got file upload privileges on what machine
> - (insert here any question of the same type)
> And I'm sure I'm not the only one to wonder.

evolt.org is hosted on two different servers currently.  www.evolt.org
and all images are hosted on .jeff's machine.  He and perhaps Judah
have access to this machine for uploading files.  .jeff was working on
a file uploading tool some time ago but I'm not sure if it is
finished.

Everything else (l.e.o, b.e.o, d.e.o) is hosted on what is commonly
called "the rack".  This server is owned by a group of 5(?) people in
the UK, namely, Martin, neuro, genghis, garrett, and Mike.  This is
the server that I would like to replace with a ServerMatrix server
since it is not really "owned" by evolt.org.  There are about 3-4
people that have root access to this machine.

DNS is handled by EasyDNS, I believe, and David is the primary contact
for that service but evolt.org as a whole does not have any direct
ownership of those machines.

> So, what do we do? I know that assests.evolt.org is coming, and
> that, if all goes as I was told, content members will have upload
> rights, but the problem remains: How many admins will there be to
> open and manage the FTP accounts? Moving a problem doesn't solve it,
> I'm afraid.

This service would be on the rack which means that 3-4 people would
have access to create FTP accounts.  (I'm not sure if we would want to
do that rather than coming up with a different access method though
which would allow for an easier way to create access accounts, i.e.,
not having to be root.)

Dean