[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Thu May 20 08:51:32 CDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:45:54AM +0100, Paul Waring wrote:
> Lachlan Cannon wrote:
> >Steering is now defunct. Soon enough our lists should be updated to
> >reflect a new structure (any day now, right? right?) of theforum,
> >thecontent, and thecode.
>
> We voted on this over a month ago though - why hasn't the change taken
> place yet?:
>
> http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20040412/000592.html

Heh.  I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes.  Third time,
sysadmin would like to wait until/if we move to the new server.  In
that way we can install the new version of mailman and create the new
lists without having to worry about migration headaches that we faced
last time we changed hosts.  Thus it behooves theforum and finance to
make a decision on whether or not we have the go ahead to move to
ServerMatrix.  I've seen virtually no discussion on sysadmin's
proposal.

> >As I said though, the lists should very shortly be shuffled, so you
> >might want to wait for that.
>
> What does "very shortly" mean though? Tomorrow? Next week? Sometime
> before Christmas 2010?

As soon as we get a decision one way or another.

BTW, I was the one who rejected your subscription to the working
groups.  As it stands currently:

1) steering is a closed list to representatives voted in my the
   working groups.

2) sysadmin and finance must approve each member that is added to
   their list so requests for membership should go to those lists.  I
   would suspect, however, that they would be hesitate in adding new
   members with the proposed new structure upcoming.  As well, it is
   usual that only actively participating members of theforum and that
   fulfill a particular skillset are accepted.  The purpose of the
   working groups is to pluck members with the most time and energy to
   get things done.

3) community members that wish to participate in the general direction
   of the community should be on theforum list.

Dean