[theforum] css layout and html source order decisions

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 03:08:36 CST 2005

On Wednesday, January 26, 2005  @969, Tara Cleveland wrote:

>so I'll have to refer you to Garrett if you ask about
>why it was done like that.

Pretty much for the reasons laid out (content is king, better for textual
browsers), I just forgot to tell anyone. My default mode when building
sites is to place content ahead of other stuff in the source and then
offer 'Skip To...' links that are hidden from graphical browsers.

Of course, I forgot to put those 'Skip To...' links in the mockups I did,
my bad. Sorry about that. I'll work with the template guys in getting
those in today.

>> the .png comp and previous styled html example have three columns but
>> a decision of two columns has been mentioned. Has there been any
>> decision on that?
>
>/me searches the archives...
>
>Nope no decision for a two-column layout was made. Martin asked for a
>mockup of a two-column layout. So, unless a vote is called to change it
>(and probably to overshoot our deadline), I think we've gotta stick to
>the three columns.

I could have sworn that we voted on this too, but I'm coming up short in
the search department too. We did talk about it though.

<http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20041129/005296.html>

So we didn't have a formal vote, but consensus seemed to be 2 columns.

What would we even put in a 3rd column anyway?

G.