[theforum] css layout and html source order decisions

David Currey davidcurrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:43:24 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:08:36 +0000, Garrett Coakley
<garrett at polytechnic.co.uk> wrote:

> I could have sworn that we voted on this too, but I'm coming up short in
> the search department too. We did talk about it though.
>
> <http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20041129/005296.html>
>
> So we didn't have a formal vote, but consensus seemed to be 2 columns.
>
> What would we even put in a 3rd column anyway?

the way I saw it (inspired by poc) was
col1: nav stuff relevent inside to the mode(the stuff with the 3d cube
icons) the user was i..categories etc
col2 : real content
col3: nav stuff related directely to the article - comments - related
articles -etc

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:21:53 -0000 (GMT), Martin Burns
<yumyum at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> > What would we even put in a 3rd column anyway?
>
> Right, that's the clincher for me (and looking back, that's the question
> Nagrom had anyway).
>
> Here's how we're going to do it:
> 1) default layout for all pages is 2 col, as at present (wide but fluid
> main column and narrow, fixed right hand nav etc column)
> 2) We'll build additional CSS support for 3 col should we decide in
> testing that 2 col sucks - we can switch it within the CMS as necessary.
>
> If anyone violently disagrees in principle, shout now (where 'now' allows

I just want to know, and now I do but "where" is/are the second (and
potential 3rd) column in the html? Is it a first-child of the body, a
sibling along with #content inside a yet to be added container element
or a child of #content?

and where is the best place to snag the most recent HTML?

sorry about my lack of IRC'ing but I don't really get on with
it...(bad reason I know but  that's all I want to say)

cheers,

dave