[theforum] Call to arms

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Tue Jun 14 03:24:59 CDT 2005

Mike King wrote:

> 2. Map current evolt DB to the drupal schema. To ease data import.
> 5. Import data, using the 'map' from point 2

Having done all this once before.. [delete long regret about not having just
shunted thesite at the first opportunity instead of inviting a second] ,
I'm offering a point zero:

0. Get what we have out of MSSQL and into a MySQL server, preferably ours.

SELECT INTO OUTFILE and LOAD DATA INFILE are, I've found, dramatically
less annoying than pissing about with two DB servers.

Additionally,

There are _several_ DB schema changes between 4.5 and 4.6x, and we should
bring the data in before the upgrade because Drupal's upgrade script does
a much better job of normalizing the DB than we can by hand.

Finally - do we have any clue just how much "tinkering" was done to the data
we've already brought in?  Do we need to rebuild the DB or just update it?
I've asked before, but nobody's responded

jh