[theforum] Vote: Launching the site already

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Fri Aug 12 09:52:53 CDT 2005

On 12 Aug 2005 at 10:19, Martin Paul Burns wrote:
[...]
> > I remember John saying long ago that they could be made to resemble our
> > current URL naming system.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant by:
> >> 1) Historical URL redirection:
> >> http://islands.easyweb.co.uk:8080/evolt_bugs/bugs/102/pcng_issue_view
>
> Matt suggested a fix, which we attempted, but haven't yet got working. It's
> assigned to the sysadmin team to work out.
[...]
> The key thing with the vote here is that assuming it's passed, we will
> still require that work to be done for the move to happen.

then my vote is -1...

i don't have confidence that work (historical URL redirection) will
be done in a timely fashion after launch... that's not a criticism of
the workers, but an assessment of how quickly things have gotten done
based on past experience...

even if you could guarantee it would happen within 24 hours of
launch, my vote would still be -1...

i think launching a rebuild of a site, whose feature-set is already
not a 1:1 match with the old site, is a tough sell at best...

but launching a site with the search engine traction we have, all the
inbound links, and the role we intentionally or unintentionally play
in the web community is a mistake when all inbound links will
break...

so, without a guarantee that, at launch, *all* page addresses will be
retained, i stand by my -1.