[theforum] Evolt.EU and other domain business

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Apr 7 14:12:22 CDT 2006

I just tried to register evolt.eu.  John, I used your snail mail and
phone for the registrant address to meet .eu TLD registration
requirements.  I don't know if it will be accepted... maybe I should
have let you register it as a "person" rather than trying to slide in as
an "established" organization, but I guess we'll see.

In other domain business...

Josh Levine, my friend and OpenSRS Reseller through whom evolt.org and
evolters.org are registered has decided to bow out of the domain
reselling business.  He will continue to maintain existing domains, and
process renewals for at least a year or two, but is not accepting new
registrations and has asked his customers to transfer their domains to
other registrars (or other OpenSRS resellers) as the domains come up for
renewal, or at their earliest convenience.

We were getting (what was, at the time) a great price from him, $12/yr,
which is essentially just a dollar over his cost from Tucows/OpenSRS,
but competition in the domain business has forced prices down
considerably since then, but Tucows/OpenSRS hasn't seemed to follow the
trend... So I've been registering new names, and transferring my own
domains, to GoDaddy for some time now, and am reasonably happy with them
as my new registrar of choice.  So I'd like to setup an GoDaddy account
for evolt and transfer evolt.org and evolters.org into it as their
renewals come due (evolters is due for renewal June 21) if there are no
strenuous objections.

Does anybody particularly dislike GoDaddy?  I am continually annoyed by
their site's design and the pushy upselling ploys with which they mine
their shopping cart checkout process, but my annoyance has been
outweighed by their nice prices, frequent discounts and specials, and
excellent telephone customer support in managing my own domains...  but
I'd like to hear what others have to say before going forward with my
plan.

Thanks!

-dave