[theforum] planet evolt

Stéphane Deschamps lists at nota-bene.org
Wed Sep 13 01:41:55 CDT 2006

<quote who='Martin Burns' when='12/09/2006 13:16'>

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:42:30 +0200, Stéphane Deschamps  wrote:
>> <quote who='Max Schwanekamp' when='08/09/2006 02:50'>
>>> Oh, OK, you're right, I'm stupid.  I unsubbed from thechat long ago
>> cause it
>>> just seemed low volume and kinda pointless.
>> Oh, a lonnnnnnnnng time ago someone said something about adding one's
>> feed to this thing. Martin maybe.
>
> who me? :-)

Yes, it can have been you :)

> After a bit of asking, the feeds are set in a config file.

I've just sent the URL. 'Bit of asking' being 'please please please I
want to be part of planet'? So please please please :)

> I'll happily volunteer to add anyone's feed as soon as I have SSH access[1]
> (tonight with luck; Thursday night if not as the port is blocked from
> my current client office), but it makes sense to use Drupal's own
> aggregating functionality (pretty tootin good if you ask me) as it lets
> people self-manage.

We've used drupal for what- more than two years now? I still feel
uncomfortable with it. I know it's not a real problem since I'm not
doing much content work these days, but the terminology it uses
throughout is obscure for me. "Moderate comments"? The whole publishing
system I can't get the hang of.

I'm so used to either blog CMS's (dotclear, wordpress) or
content-oriented CMS's (spip) that drupal really looks like what I'm
always trying to avoid when advising people: a CMS that shows it's done
by tech people.

Anyway, I'm sure it's just me since I've never seen any other remark
like that in two years on the lists.

> Whether we do this sooner (would take a config change to point the
> domain at the right place on weo), or as part of implementing a new
> design I'm entirely agnostic about.

Gah? Wouldn't we need new drupal templates in order to present the
aggregation the way planet does?

And (reiterating a question that was overlooked in the flow of other
emails) wasn't one of Isaac's designs incorporating feeds into the main
weo page and how is this idea going to be incorporated into the proposed
new designs?

(I really wish I had more time to contribute, I hate throwing ideas in
the air and being forced to neglect the implementation)

--
Stéphane Deschamps
   personal: http://www.nota-bene.org/