[theforum] Brief notes on the sanctity of theforum, and double-standards relating thereto

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 19:37:20 CDT 2006

On 9/17/06, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> That comment on his user page confirms that lack of respect, and just shows
> Alan to be rather childish in his attitudes.  And after all that bluster too :(

If that's all he does after being blasted by 10 people in 2 hours
after having tried in perfectly good faith to bring something to this
community, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Your attitude, John's attitude, and the comments about the "all quiet"
being a good thing just confirms that there is a real lack of
understanding of the people side of this community. At least the
servers are running well, eh?

Martin wrote:
> I'm planning on doing what I did with the previous episodes: ignoring
> and moving on. We could spend the time & effort towards being super-
> nice and all, but I think it'd be unproductive. Once it's got to this
> stage, it's not going to get pulled back.

No shit. So you recognize that we've gone beyond the point of return
with someone who really wanted to contribute, and in response you give
it a heartfelt shrug.

Yes, being "super nice" would be very unproductive -- much more so
than being a total dick to people who want to volunteer their time to
help this community.

We effectively kicked someone out of the community for adding 1
paragraph of text to the homepage. I remember when we used to approve
articles that were more or less crap, because we all agreed that evolt
was for the free exchange of information, and gatekeeping on our
personal quality terms is directly contrary to that.

And I remember why I unsubbed from all the administrative lists and
stuck with the only remaining part of evolt with any sense of
community, thelist. I guess I need to accept that the skills to
reproduce the evolt that once was have left this community, and evolt
shall be thelist and thelist only.

So, thanks for keeping the servers running.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA