[theforum] Brief notes on the sanctity of theforum, and double-standards relating thereto

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Sep 17 22:32:34 CDT 2006

> after having tried in perfectly good faith
 . . .
> with someone who really wanted to contribute

I think his reaction says he wasn't exactly Mr. Altruism. I've been
displeased on occasion with how folks make their points around here, but
I decided to stick it out instead of reacting like a kid on the
playground.

still reminds me of my band analogy: if someone doesn't like the way I
run things and they stomp off mad, we can still sort it out. if they
flip me off and yell obscenities on the way, they're not someone I wanna
be stuck with. I accept passion as a part of life, even if it's
expressed at the top of someone's lungs. what he just sent to this list
isn't passion.

this whole thing has been like someone walking into a room full of
people and turning on the stereo full blast because they thought it
would get everyone's attention, without finding out *why* they were all
just sitting there. yeah, maybe they *were* asleep and needed to wake
up. but if I walked into someone else's party and turned on the stereo
because *I* thought that's what should be done, I'd be darn surprised
*not* to have 10 people jump down my throat.

enthusiasm is great. being a bull in a china shop isn't enthusiasm.

so, if there's something that needs to be done, what is it? where's the
task list/project plan/outline/whatever? I don't know what's broken, so
I don't know what anyone was trying to fix. not arguing, just ignorant.

joel