[theforum] Help? -- wuz light / tunnel / moooo

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 09:16:25 CDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:27:11 -0500, "Luther, Ron" wrote:

> My guess is that a lot of this is handled informally today, if and when
> it comes up at all.  [And I certainly have a soft spot for the 'but if I
> do it myself I know it will get done the way I want it done' mentality.]
> ;-)

Oh so do I. As long as you get on and do it (or don't complain :-) )

> However, after a bit more reflection (and since my old guy forehead is
> growing I gets LOTS more reflection!), I'm wondering if this wouldn't be
> better as a 'design consideration' on the evolt homepage.  Some kind of
> "Here are the top 5 things we could use a hand with RIGHT NOW" list.

Yep, that's easily doable in a number of ways.

> Of course, there are some downsides:
>
> - Training.  If you ask for help, then you may be committing to train
> some goober like me who doesn't have your understanding of the process
> and how it works today.
>
> - Review.  If you ask for help, then you are committing to reviewing the
> work in a timely fashion once it's complete - and we all know it will
> get done (if at all) at the most inconvenient time personally possible!
>
> - Action.  <shudder /> Lastly, if anyone does come forward and lend a
> hand with something; (say sorting out a new drupal module or a CSS
> change), there may actually be some action that would have to take place
> to implement the volunteered work.

Woah! Too much sense for one email!
This is fantastic, Ron - and will reduce the 'unfunded mandate' tendency.
Note that Action could also include a real, solid set of requirements...
just because you're not a coder doesn't mean that you can't Act.

"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam