[theforum] Lack of evolt Listmastery (was: Re: [thelist] TipHarvest for the Week of Monday Oct 09, 2006)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Oct 24 15:32:56 CDT 2006

David Kaufman enlightened a few of us who have not rolled up our sleeves
and
Personally pitched in with how *much* behind the scenes work there
really is:

Hi Dave!

I second Joel's sentiments.  Wow!  Thank you very much for stepping up
and
helping out.  It *IS* mucho appreciantavo!  [1]

>>So, if anyone notices (or even just suspects) that the lists are
jammed, I'd
>>really appreciate it if you could email me at one of those addresses
with a
>>big "EVOLT LISTS GONE WONKY" sort of subject,

Will try.  I generally fret a bit, and then once-in-a-while send a note
over to
admin.

>>Long term, I think it would be great to write a program that monitors
mail
>>bandwidth *and* alerts me and the other sysadmins (using some
spam-free conduit)
>>when obvious anomalies occur:

Great idea, Dave!  We had a number of these 'administrative alerts' set
up here
for a system I was somewhat involved with.  I don't know much about mail
systems
and how easy/hard it is to count inbound/outbound traffic by day/half
day/hour,
but once loaded into a db I (and many other folks here) might have some
ideas
on how to work with it.

Thanks Again,

RonL.

[1] I wouldn't say I make up a lot of words ... Oh sure, a little blush
here and
there ... maybe some eyeliner ... but that doesn't really count.  Does
it?