[theforum] Support Forum

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:07:48 CST 2007

Hello all,

We have some articles on the site that are quite active in terms of the
number of comments.  In particular, the PHP login system article
receives a lot of support-type comments which seldom go answered, or
even looked at.  I believe that this is because the comment system is a
very poor communication method for questions and answers.  Plus, it
doesn't help that the comment system is unthreaded, is slow to pull up,
and the "Newest comments" links are not properly linked to take you to
the relevant comment.

I propose adding a link/button/etc. to the end of each article, or
particular articles, that would take the user to a proper support forum.
 For instance, we could use SourceForge to host code articles which
would provide download statistics, forums, mailing lists, etc.
Alternatively, we could install something like phpBB, Invision, or
similar as a forum on evolt.org.  I don't know if Drupal has a forum
module but unless we can get better performance out of the system, I'd
vote for not hosting it within Drupal.

Thoughts?  Anyone care?  If no one cares, I'm likely to just do it.

Dean