[theforum] [Fwd: [Content] Feedback: Please remove my name]

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Nov 7 12:13:04 CST 2007

Joel D Canfield wrote:
>> My suggestion is simple: tell them to get stuffed. Once you
>> have posted
>> something to a public list (such as thelist), you can't
>> revoke it later - it's already out there.
>
> Which approach is likely to garner greater support from the community at
> large, and future potential members of the community: this, or "sure,
> we'd love to help" ? I prefer the latter.

I wasn't going reply, but since there's this I'll just add.  I've
learned from experience most people are bluffing, caught up in the
moment, upset and take it out in their email to request content be removed.

My first action is to always ignore their first request.  They usually
go away.  My second action is to let them know that it's not possible
and that it's already been cached by folks like google, internet
archive, etc.  My third action, if they still insist is to either comply
if they are being nice, or let them know they can have their counsel
contact me.

:-)

-David