[theforum] Challenging Drupal: Put up or shut up

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 05:22:29 CDT 2008

Erika wrote:
> I have gotten several offlist emails from ex-admins who indicate
> that they don't like it, that it was a "mistake."

Right. I want to put this to bed.
1) If you're complaining off-list, and aren't prepared to go public,
then you're venting, not being productive. Fine - vent, then we'll
move on.
2) If you're complaining on-list, without a firm alternative proposal,
then you're venting. Fine - vent, then we'll move on.
3) If you're trying to re-fight battles of 4 years ago, give it up;
we're *not* going back there until and unless you can demonstrate a
custom-coded CMS as mature as Drupal and a winning argument for why we
should move off of our current LAMP platform. Which is essentially
point (2) above.
4) If you do have a solid alternative proposal, bring it on, but as
it'll inevitably be a longer term discussion, don't expect it to
derail the current effort.