[theforum] Challenging Drupal: Put up or shut up

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Oct 12 15:48:43 CDT 2008

Matt Warden wrote:
> past 4 years and not say that something is missing? Do you really
> think that upgrading Drupal is going to revive evolt? Is that the
> problem our community has currently -- an outdated version of Drupal?

Software is one problem.  Updating the software is one solution, and it
seems like the most viable solution for the here and now.  It's one
problem that if we fix, will help us address other problems such as
design, content, and ultimately, community participation. I do believe this.

evolt is set up such that it is only as effective as its members.  I
think there is a lot to be said by leading by example, and part of
setting an example would be to have a user-friendly, working site.
Contributing content and other ideas to the site and lists is another part.

It took a long time to get to this place, and it will take a while to
get to a new (better) place. I think that in this case it's worthwhile
to suck it up, and take one for the team. (ymmv!)

Ultimately, as far as the site is concerned, we need it more usable, and
we need better content.

If there is a "central problem" (other than our crazy-ass anarchist
business model which we've tried and never successfully changed) I do
think we're ultimately open to taking a look at it.

The upgrade/redesign project is not going to be "derailed" on account of
other/related issues being raised.

Erika