[theforum] evolt users

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 17:44:59 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the reasons that we keep all of the users is to "block" the
> spammers.  Marking them with the role of 'Spamming Scum' disables them
> from re-creating a deleted account.  Not that it makes much of a
> difference since there's no impediment to adding new accounts (we
> don't use captcha or e-mail verification).

What I've been doing with quite some success is to collect IP address of
spammers, then from the stats (most used IPs) I block the whole netblock
(through htaccess), as they are usually from China anyway...
When I have access to iptables, I have a php that creates the rules then I
just paste to a .sh file and make sure it's run appropriately.

> I would also suspect that even if you are a long time member of
> evolt.org, you wouldn't necessarily log into the site even if you ever
> came to the site to just read the content.  Only people who want to
> comment or 'admin' the site need to do that.  I would suspect that
> there would be some hard feelings if those members had their accounts
> deleted, along with their 'history'.

ouch, I agree.... just in case, I've logged in after who knows how many
years :)

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz