[theforum] evolt hosting

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 18:11:43 CDT 2008

On 16 Oct 2008, at 21:46, ekm at seastorm.com wrote:

> Wondering if someone could give a rundown on the evolt hosting
> situation.

Currently all hosted at theplanet, on our own box, called Tempest.
Runs an older - but stable - version of Debian Linux. Maintained by
the sysadmin team so there's no risk of a single point of failure (or
single gatekeeper which we've had twice before). We don't hear about
it because it Just Works for us. Yay - go the Mighty Sysadmin Team.

> And what changes, if any, we are looking for,

Dave Kaufman - who has fingers in both sysadmin and finance pies - saw
a new box, which also happens to be 2/3 the cost.

> and why,

Updating the old box to support Drupal 6 (and later) looks painful.

> and how we are going about it.
>
> Also, do we have a hosting budget, and does that need to be revisited?

Current cost: $69/month. Covered pretty much by the Google ads on beo,
plus we have a couple of years' worth of reserves.

New box looks like it'll cost a wee bit ($150 one off) to install our
chosen Linux flavour (Currently running CentOS Linux; we prefer either
current Debian or Ubuntu).

Finance - like Sysadmin: not a problem.