[theforum] history draft

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Oct 27 21:47:15 CDT 2008

Evolt History (FACT CHECKING & SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED)

1998-2000

Evolt was established December 13, 1998, as a breakoff group from
Hotwired's Monkeyjukies mailing list.

THE LIST
In March 1999, after months of planning amongst the initial breakoff
group, evolt.org launched its main mailing list,
thelist at lists.evolt.org. Although the list started off small, word
quickly spread, and hundreds of web developers from around the world
were soon exchanging information about the web development industry on a
daily basis.

Evolt's "the list" is fairly general as far as web development lists go,
covering everything from server operating systems to nuances of
designing with CSS.  The list has been historically characterized by its
strong sense of community and its self-moderated style.

The list continues today as the heart of the evolt community.

EVOLT.ORG SITE

The first iteration of the evolt.org site was pastel-colored, and
launched in the spring of 1999.

On June 1st, 1999, evolt.org re-launched its website as a place where
web developers could see up-to-date and relevant news content about the
web industry in general. The most applauded feature however, was that
anyone could post an article in one of several "centers" or sections of
the site that related to a specific area of web development.

This 1999 site, generally known as "evolt 1.0," featured a distinctive
dark blackground, with flat, bright, 8-bit fonts, and a "switch" button
designed to pull up a reversed, printer-friendly page.  Influenced by
late-90s "hotwired style," evolt.org provided a sleeker, geekier, and
more accessible version.

(put something here about the browser archive)

2001-2004

In December 2000, evolt redesigned to a "skinnable" site featuring an
all-black bar across the top of each page, different colors for each
site section, and CSS used for visual design elements.  Site layout was
still done in tables.  This design was created by Isaac Forman, with
potential themes created by various evolt members.

2005-2008

In 2005 we decided to migrate our datebase and CMS to SQL/Drupal.  Once
again, Isaac Forman provided the front end design, which evolt's front
end team worked into Drupal templates.

2008
Evolt is once again in the midst of an upgrade/redesign process.

Evolt CMS

Our original CMS was built in Cold Fusion over an Access database
running on Window NT; later we migrated to MSSQL/Win2k and Oracle/Linux
(which was first?).  Our home-rolled CMS was maintained by coders in
different parts of the world, with the occasional community-building
"code-fest" get-togethers (link to Matt Warden's article).

Eventually, concerns about the accessibility and longevity of our system
led admin members to choose a more powerful open source system: Drupal.
  We now host our site on Linux-based servers running drupal and an SQL
database.

Process

Over the years, evolt has experimented with different ways to structure
our admin process, from electing leaders, to establishing committees.
Ultimately, movements toward a formal leadership process have given way
to a more informal, consensus-based style, similar to that employed by
sites like wikipedia, but on a smaller community-oriented scale.

Just as evolt's lists are self-moderated, the organization is self-led.
Direction for the organization comes from the collective consciousness
and is steered by credible individuals who are willing and able to step
into leadership roles.  Some offices are held by single individuals (for
example, the office of treasurer, currently held by David Kaufman) while
other offices may be shared.  Evolt has had to remain flexible with
leadership, seeking a balance that works for us.

Direction of the organization happens in theforum.  Those who have been
involved for some time on the list or the site, and who are interested
in taking a more active role in the organization may request a
membership in theforum.

Evolt is only as strong as our members, and we are always open to having
intelligent, energetic additions to our ranks.