[theforum] Writers' Guidelines for evolt.org

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sat Nov 1 22:35:33 CDT 2008

This is my basic proposal for how writers guidelines should look:
http://test.evolt.org/node/61158

This is greatly simplified from the current labyrinth writers currently
must navigate.  I want to go back to standard-issue clear-cut writers
guidelines + code guide and have Heilman's 2004 "How to Get Published"
article linked as secondary reference material (like Canfield's "How to
Write a How to" is), and off the front page.  I want to publish the
guidelines as pages either under the "evolt.org" account or anonymous.
The guidelines are borrowed heavily from aeriks and aardvark, but they
really should not be author-owned content and I think the original
authors will understand that.

Please check this out, read through the different pages, paying special
attention to the "rights" section which I have changed based on feedback
and standard publishing practice as I understand it.

Please feel free to go in and make minor adjustments if you see
something that is plainly wrong or typos, etc.  If you need to make
major alterations, maybe do a second document or throw it back to the forum.

(The code guide of course will look different when we have our final
stylesheet running on it, hopefully better.)

I'm leaving this for feedback/editing for several days, and then I'd
like to make the changes on evolt.org.  I think clarity in communication
our publishing practices may help attract better writers/articles and
discourage some of the spammy multiple-published crap which I find,
frankly, offensive.

We should probably say something about a timeline the author can expect
to wait after submitting before getting a response or pinging us.

Erika