[theforum] evolt.org history mystery

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 01:20:35 CST 2008

On 28 Nov 2008, at 04:56, Erika wrote:

> What is really striking to me, looking through our archives, is the
> incredible challenges that we faced as an org, and how, in fact, we
> are
> in a much better position in many ways than we ever have been.   The
> hosting cost issue was, for so long, nearly overwhelming.  Then along
> with that we had "the bus scenario" and the "pull the plug" scenario.
> We struggled a lot with leadership issues, who, and which list, should
> do what, should we have more formality, more process, how do we keep
> it
> all organized, how do we deal with issues of accountability,
> boundaries,
> etc...

*cough*
http://www.chimaeraconsulting.com/tuckman.htm
*cough*
:-)

The reason we're in a much better place is that I think no-one has a
genuine sense of "I am evolt!" - we have a common understanding that
this is a collective thing. Even when we have individuals taking a
lead in areas, there's strong sense of stewardship, rather than
personal power.

Which also means that people can drop out and in as life demands it
without any blame or any damage to the rest of the org.