[theforum] front end update

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Dec 22 10:21:24 CST 2008

FWIW I've spent the past couple of days working on another front end
design, trying to incorporate all the feedback that's been coming in,
from the other attempts, and putting it, this time, in HTML.

I am trying to simplify the concepts of it to the point that it will be
extensible: if we want to shift the types of content we display under
different conditions, the idea is that the code and interface are both
simple and robust enough to do so.

So I'm separating layout from typography/color in different stylesheets
and using body class to designate different portions of site.

Since we're snowed in here, I hope to have something to show in the next
few days.

If we are so lucky to come to any kind of agreement on a basic front end
concept, the one we choose will def need fine tuning and dev help to be
as clean and robust as possible and take advantage of things like
jQuery/AJAX where they would help (and not hinder) navigability.

One area I have not thought through in detail, but which I think really
needs a lot of thinking, are the user pages.  There are lots of stray
ends of ideas out there (see wiki for some) but what we need is a solid
vision of what our user pages need to offer our users and visitors. We
need to figure out which information the user pages will offer, and how
it will be displayed.  It would probably help to have more knowledge of
Drupal than I have, but I do want to make sure that *we* are leading the
site's functionality requirements, and not the other way around.

Erika