[theforum] revisiting categories

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 06:17:04 CST 2008

On 23 Dec 2008, at 12:10, adrinux wrote:

> 2008/12/23 Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk>:
>> I do think there's a category missing though, at the sysadmin/
>> hardware
>> end of things.
>
>     * Process (Site Development should maybe just be 'Process'? Is
> 'site' still relevant in the age of web apps?

or 'Method'

> And lets keep 'em short,
> we have an audience that knows what tooltips are and where to find
> them)

Not sure I understand this..?

>     * Culture (fuck it let's copy ALA's 'culture', it's a lot
> snappier commentary and society is a hell of a mouthful)

Yeah, sounds good.

>     * News (do we really need to specify 'Reviews'? shift it to a tag)

Also +1

> And that's where Martin's suggestion of Tags comes in handy
> (though tag !== tag cloud of course).
>
> It's perfectly possible to have both a hard taxonomy for the main
> article navigation and tags for the sub categories, they can adapt and
> change easily with new technologies/jargon (flavour of the month) -
> pretty much what Martin said. You avoid 'hard' coding them into the
> site structure, UI and navigation too, which is another plus.

See, trust you to say what I was thinking, but far more elegantly and
succinctly. Avoid hardcoding==goodness

> It just leaves us with the question of how to expose the tags in the
> UI. Some existing ways this is done that I can think of put which we
> don't *need* to use:
>
> (1)  the usual 'list of tags' with each article
> (2)  lists of tags in a sidebar or footer block
> (3)  tag clouds
> (4)  site map style pages
>
> any other idea's?
> I think (1) is a useful convention.

(1) and (2) are the same thing, and should be used, to help find more
articles on the same subject

Also, I think a URL exposure is needed:
http://evolt.org/jquery
or similar. See Twemes for example