[theforum] revisiting categories

Hugh Miller hmiller at cfpress.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 08:35:11 CST 2008

--
If it's of any use, I have two different places where 'sub category' tagging takes place;

1. 'Hyperlocal' tags which are automatically added to the article based on keywords within it. This allows the back end to update what is displayed on the front, and the sections appear with historical articles inside. All we have to do is switch off the 'hyperlocal' area in the categories table for it to drop if it's underused with no effect elsewhere in the system.

2. 'Classified Ads', here there are several hundred potential categories, but some are seasonal and some are only used occasionally. With these the system is looking for a valid date and only the categories which are active display. So we might end up with Christmas ads this week but no hard coding exists so they simply disappear next week.

believed to be clean.