[theforum] user id's - can they be openID?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 03:28:10 CST 2008

On 24 Dec 2008, at 07:39, Hugh Miller wrote:

>> On 22 Dec 2008, at 16:30, Erika wrote:
>>
>>> A couple of people have suggested making evolt.org user accounts
>>> compatible with other user accounts (I assume things like openID).
>>

>> ...a thought. As we'd then be relying on third party to authenticate
>> users, we'd need to be careful to avoid spam accounts (and given that
>> they're attempting to register on teo at the rate of several a day
>> already, this is a real worry)
>>
> That's a tricky one! Surely openID means you have to let anyone log
> in to post
> comments - not just spammers, but trolls too? I think openID is much
> more in the
> spirit of blogging rather than for sites like evolt which by
> definition is a
> membership site.

Having done some more reading last night, I *think* I now understand
it, and that wouldn't be the case.

All OpenID is is enabling us to pass off the login part to a third
party; rather than *us* holding passwords, we pass the credentials off
to a third party who simply verifies that this UserID has correctly
authenticated. We still have control over registration & rights.